Monday, April 20, 2009

New Topic - Delaware County Historical Tours

My new topic is going to be driving tours of historical Delaware county. I know this may seem a little on the boring side, but not to me. I love history, even local history. This website topic could appeal to local people who want to get a better idea of the history where they live, or it may appeal to people interesting in local history.

This idea came to me because I knew of two interesting sites in Delaware county: the Brandywine Battlefield (Revolutionary War) and an old Swedish cabin in Drexel Hill that was build in 1638. After looking into it further though, I found there are many more historical sites than I imagined. In fact, there are 83 entries on the National Register of Historic Places. Of course some of these are private homes that people wouldn't visit but there are some historic homes that are open to the public and have living history exhibits. These include the William Brinton House, the Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation, The Grange Estate, the Thomas Massey House, the Minshall House, The Morton House, etc. I also found an interesting article about the Underground Railroad in Delaware County. I'm not sure if there are any sites that people can visit, but I'm going to find out.

As far as the website goes, I envision a general overview of Delaware County and its history, some custom made tours, and some other resources for Delaware County, such as other places to visit and places to eat. I'm not sure how the tours should be layed out. That is the next phase of research.

1 comment:

  1. It happens, just like it happens with academic papers. You start out with a short list of potential research topics and sometimes the one you really want isn't feasible for one reason or another. The Delaware County Historical Tours idea sounds very good, and might fill a local niche. Good luck!

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete