Monday, April 6, 2009

Change in Plans?

After my last post I was quite certain my website topic would be historical tours (possibly of Delaware County). However, after reading all the comments it looks like the country music/americana topic has the most support. This would definitely be more fun, and I may be able to pull it off!

The main reason I had against this topic was that I didn't think I have anything interesting to add that hasn't been done much better by websites currently on the web. There seems to be two ways to approach this topic: a review of americana acts as away introduce people to the genre, or a site about Philadephia-based acts that details who they are, their influences, and the local venues where they play.

I think it's this latter approach where I could create something original and interesting. There are three main groups that I know of, which could be a good starting point:
Wissahickon Chicken Shack - the first Philly group I heard
Mason Porter - a bluegrassy group out of West Chester
Hoots & Hellmouth - a group I discovered tonight who are actually on Drexel's student-run Mad Dragon records label

My only disadvantage is that I only discovered the Americana genre as a whole within the last two years and the Philly scene within the last two or three months, so I'm only familar with a few groups and have not seen any live shows. I plan on fixing this by going to as many shows as possible - Wissahickon Chicken Shack and Mason Porter are playing in Manayunk at the end of April, so I'm gonna check them out.

6 comments:

  1. I think you're onto something good here, and I'm sure the bands wouldn't object to the free 'press' - maybe interviews?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes more focused, simple sites work out easier than the larger more complicated epic sites. I think if you can make a site simple, but easy to navigate, it'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great topic. Never heard of any Philadelphia-based country groups! You'll probably be able to find out about more groups once you go to a show. Just ask people there what else they've been listening to - they'll probably (For the most part) be happy to offer information. Or maybe that's just the librarian point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not well versed in Contra dancing, but I know that it is very popular in the greater Philadelphia area. Some of the same bands that play at Contra dances might fit the genre of Americana and might be of interest to you. Here is a site for Contra dance that has links to local bands:

    http://www.thursdaycontra.com/

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of know one of the people in Wissahickon Chicken Shack from a church I attend on occasion; actually, I heard them perform once at a church coffeehouse, but only for a couple songs. I never met anyone else in the group, but I can't imagine they would object to being featured or even interviewed for a site like that.

    In any case, it does sound like a genre that could use more coverage locally, and so would make for an interesting and useful site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Country music in Philadelphia is a great combination and an aspect that is not much acknowledged in the area. At least a few of the guys in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were from Philadelphia. They even have plaques on Broad Street.

    ReplyDelete